Monday, October 8, 2012

Exactly 1 Month Ago...

I don't even know where to start...this first month has been absolutely amazing! When I think back on my life in the US, there are people and places (and macaroni and cheese!) that I miss. Japan is totally different from what I've grown up in. It has safe and easy public transportation, delicious foods of ALL varieties, and hospitable people who treat me like a movie star (just because I'm foreign lol). The things I love best about Japan, above all else, are karaoke, warm baths in the winter, shopping malls, and Japanese variety TV shows! I've gotten used to my travel route to and from school, made wonderful friends, and love time with my host family.

This experience is more than I could have ever dreamed of. While talking to a fellow exchange student from FSU, we marveled at the fact that we were really HERE. In the US, we are able to see the things we're experiencing on TV, the Internet, or National Geographic. Heck, we even can participate in mock Japanese festivals with the local Japanese population! However, we're experiencing the real deal; not a mock festival, not imported goods. I can't express how thankful I am to have been granted this opportunity!

Ok, enough of the sentimental stuff! :) School is a little stressful and hectic, but fun. I'm learning way more here than I ever have in the states. I've never studied so much in my life! Despite the difficulty, all the classes are interesting and my classmates are very nice. There's so many cool things for exchange students to do while studying abroad! KGU and clubs on campus arrange special outings and events just for us! This past weekend a group of exchange students and I went on a $5 tour of a country-side village called, Nishitani. It was fun and different from anything I've done in Japan! All my friends are in Tokyo or near major cities, so I normally travel there; the country-side is not something I thought would be appealing...boy, I was wrong! I had arts and crafts time with the elderly and spoke with them about their childhoods. They were a little hard to understand because of their "country" accent, but it was still awesome meeting new people! After having a cooking lesson on how to make "omlette rice" (one of my favorite Japanese dishes!), we went to an "End of Summer Festival." The whole village came out to celebrate and cheer on the men carrying what's called an "Omikoshi" or "Danjiri." It was amazing just to be a part of the action and be accepted by the locals :)

Here's some pics:

My beautiful university

This giant thing is called an "Omikoshi"

Probably the most picturesque scenery I've ever seen!




No comments:

Post a Comment