Monday, September 17, 2012

So far, so good!

So, it's been a week since I've moved into my new home. It doesn't feel like only a week; I feel as if I've been here a month! The way my host family and I interact is so natural. They're very welcoming and friendly (Grandma makes me laugh ALL the time!). This past week was packed with KGU Orientation events, so it was nice to come home to their smiles and be able to share my day with them. Everything we eat for dinner is DELICIOUS- seriously. I've experienced nothing but fantastic meals since arriving here (and it's not like they're preparing anything special for me, it's just their everyday dinners). We've had Okonomiyaki, Yakibuta, some sort of amazing stew, and lots more! Grandma spoils me by always having my favorite dessert around: roll cake! Yum!! (^^)

I start school officially this Thursday. Last week was full of new experiences and people~~~ it was so exciting! The first day of orientation was the placement test- talk about not wasting any time, huh? It was nerve-wracking, but once it was over everyone was relieved. That same day, we met our "Nihongo Partners," or "Japanese Partners." They're KGU students who volunteered to be our first Japanese friends and further our speaking abilities by only speaking Japanese to us. I was paired with two girls my age: Shoko and Aoi. They're super cute and sweet girls; I can't wait to become really good friends! :) Shoko and I are joining the Ramen Club together; basically, the group goes to eat ramen about once or twice a month. It just seems like a great way to meet people- and really, who doesn't love ramen?!

On Thursday, we found out what level of Japanese we were placed in and proceeded to register for electives. I was placed in Level 5 Japanese (Level 6 being the highest), and honestly, was a little disappointed. I knew Kanji (Japanese characters) was my weakness, but I was hoping that my other strong suits would make up for that...guess not. So, now it's crack-down time!! My goal is to take regular university courses in the Spring, so I MUST improve my Kanji skills. Here goes nothing!! :)
The electives I've registered for look interesting and fun: Japanese Psychology, Japanese Business, Literary Analysis, Japanese Usage, and Korean Studies. Super excited for classes to start!

The entire orientation experience was a mix of good and bad; I was a little disappointed at KGU's time management skills (there was lots of waiting around time/pointless activities), but overall very happy. The group of kids that came to study abroad are absolutely amazing- EVERYONE speaks at least a little bit of English, even though not everyone is from an English-speaking country! I've made friends with people from Norway, Canada, Australia, and China! Who would've thought there would be so many people from all over the world interested in the same thing?

KGU took us all on a field trip to Nara on Friday. We went to Horyuji and Todaiji Temples, and got to see the native deer! :) It was a fun, but tiring! Even though it was a long weekend, I only wanted to lay around all day haha. I did go to Kobe with my family, though! It was a very fashionable city, with lots of pretty shops and old buildings. I'm sure there's even more to see, but didn't have time for! So I've got to go back (^^)

Overall so far, so good! I'll hopefully post some pictures tomorrow or the next day~
This week's nerve-wracking again cause it's the first week of class; so in the words of cute, Korean dramas "Fighting!" \(^0^)/

No comments:

Post a Comment